- We have gone through this question a million times ourselves here at Scoobe3D because the security of your data is very important to us. However, we have good reasons for our decision to realize Scoobe3D with a server:
- Maintenance costs: For the beginning it is quite expensive to run your own server. This increases the total cost of your 3D model. Using one server to calculate all 3D models is a cost effective solution that supports our goal of making 3D scanning accessible to everyone.
- Software updates and troubleshooting: Fixing bugs is an essential part of any software development. Therefore, any software update would have to be uploaded to your server by yourself in order to implement it. This is very time consuming and complicated - contrary to our premise of developing an easy to use 3D scanner. It also makes the 3D scanner more expensive, as these updates would probably have to be released as new versions of the software. The web-based server solution was chosen because it ensures that all our customers have a stable and reliable software version available at all times.
- Security of the own server: If you use your own computer for calculation, you would have to set up an intensive security system to be on the safe side - especially with Windows computers. We will implement regular security updates and effective encryption to ensure that your files are only your data. The encryption works with a key that is unique to each user, so only you can access your data. We do not store any of your data outside of the calculation.
Create accurate 3D models Easy. Seamless. Any material.
The Scoobe3D is an easy-to-use handheld 3D scanner. With this precise scanner you can create closed 3D models, even of reflective objects. Say goodbye to pre- and post-processing. A small scanner with a big impact!
The following features make the Scoobe3D unique:
Simple as a
An accuracy of
up to 0.1 mm
Mobile and fits
in every pocket
Any material, including
The first testers share their experience with the Scoobe3D
The Scoobe3D is expected to be delivered to the first customers in September 2021. The first testers have already been allowed to try out the preliminary version of the Scoobe3D. Read what they have to say about the Scoobe3D handheld scanner:
Tester of the Scoobe3D
The handheld 3D scanner adapts to the needs of your industry. Creating closed 3D models becomes as easy as taking a panoramic photo with the compact Scoobe3D:
Tell me how the Scoobe3D supports my industry
How the Scoobe3D works
With the hand scanner you can create closed 3D models as easily as panoramic photos. After the scan, the algorithm calculates your 3D model on the secure on the secure Scoobe3D servers (encrypted according to German banking standards).
Within 10 minutes, your finished 3D model is waiting for you to download and process it.
With the hand scanner you can create closed 3D models just as easily as panoramic photos. After the scan, the algorithm calculates your 3D model on the secure on the secure Scoobe3D servers (encrypted according to German banking standards).
Within 10 minutes your finished 3D model is waiting for you to download and process it.
1. You scan your object
2. Your scan is calculated on the server
3. You receive your finished 3D model
Why is a server plan a good choice for me?
In a nutshell: Thanks to a cloud-based server you get top customer support and the best possible 3D scanner.
Why do I need a server contract?
The portable Scoobe3D scanner captures the raw data in the form of images from different positions of the object. The subsequent calculation is based on the graphics performance of a server set up for this purpose. You can access this service via the server plans.
How much does the server contract cost?
The price starts at 49€ per month. This depends on the type of package and the number of scans. You can choose between three different packages: Professional, Business and Enterprise. If necessary, you can switch to a free tariff at any time.
The Professional rate with 20 scans for €49 is included for the first month of purchase. A credit is only deducted when you download the 3D model.
How secure are the servers?
Since you are working with sensitive data, the security of the server is of great concern to us. By encrypting your data according to German banking standards, all your 3D scanner data is protected. The standard also guarantees your desired data protection.
Benefit from top customer support
Another advantage of a server is that you receive first-class customer support. Through the server structure, you get effective and quick solutions to your problems.
May I process the data myself on my computer?
The cloud system with servers and the corresponding GPUs offers the advantage that your 3D data is calculated as quickly as possible. The servers offer the necessary graphics performance to process your 3D models in the best possible way.
In the near future, it will be possible to install the server solution directly on site.
The Scoobe3D High-Precision will provide different scan modes. One mode for very accurate scanning and in the near future one fast mode with lower accuracy (0,5-1 mm accuracy). To scan an object with 0.1 mm accuracy, this is the current scan process:
- Place the object on a free, flat surface. The surface must be clearly distinguishable from the object.
- Place the two scan cards supplied in front of and behind the object -> For 0.1 mm accuracy; currently necessary to perform a scan.
-> Update autumn 2021: 0.5 mm without scan cards.
- Point your Scoobe3D at the scan object from a 45° angle to the surface and start your scan -> so you scan the top and side of the object
- Hold still while the Scoobe3D scans the first position
- Then move to the next position (the user interface will guide you)
- Go around the object twice (fastest variant for accurate data):
- In the first round, approx. 60 RGB images are taken
- If a position is skipped, simply go back
- In the second round, 60 polarisation images are taken
- In the end, take 3 RGB images of the floor (from the side) at a 0-10° angle (advantage: 3D data becomes more accurate due to additional information from this low angle).
- Finish your scan
- To upload your finished scan, make sure you have a stable internet connection. Without an internet connection, buffering is also possible. The calculation of your 3D model will then be postponed until an internet connection is available.
- A high-precision 3D model is then calculated on the server and sent to your Scoobe3D.
- You can email the 3D model directly from your Scoobe3D. Or you can access the web app from a computer and download the 3D model in your preferred file format (including STEP and STL). You can also share the 3D model by email from your computer.
- Yes, the Scoobe3D High-Precision delivers STEP files if you use a Professional Scan Plan. You can then continue working with the STEP format in any CAD software. This way you can adapt the assembly according to your wishes: simple operations such as scaling the size in X, Y and/or Z direction are possible. An example procedure with FreeCAD: Convert STL to solids
- Changes that require a clean mathematical description of the model in detail are not possible. For example, it is not possible to change the radius of a cylindrical element of the 3D model. For a professional processing a reverse engineering tool would have to be used here.
- The Scoobe3D High-Precision also creates OBJ and STL files if you only use a Free Scan Plan. These files can be derived from STL to STEP using, among other things, the "Solidworks" software for which a fee is charged. This is possible in Solidworks by default, but difficult for large files (sometimes an importer module has to be installed, which can be downloaded for free from the Solidworks homepage).
- The resolution of the Scoobe3D High-Precision is 0.1 mm in X, Y, Z at a distance of 50 cm from the measurement object.
- At a distance of 2 meters, the resolution is 0.5 mm in X and Y axis.
- The much anticipated 3D models can be found in the upper section of the page under the tab "3D Scans".
- All visible surfaces work well, even if they are highly reflective. Not possible are transparent surfaces (e.g. glass) and deep black objects (e.g. black holes) that reflect absolutely no light.
- Background: An optical scanner only picks up optically detectable materials. Transparent and deep black objects are not included.
- The Scoobe3D High-Precision delivers excellent results when scanning people. We know that speed is important when scanning people. That's why a high-speed scan mode (<1 min) with an accuracy of 0.5 - 1 mm is coming this summer.
- For extra recording speed, it is possible to scan a person with multiple Scoobe3Ds to record everything in seconds. You also have access to an open API so you can program your own apps to connect all the devices you need. The devices are equipped with Bluetooth and can be triggered via Bluetooth.
- It is hard to say how many devices you will need in the end. It really depends on which application is most important to you: the distance between Scoobe3D and the person, the number of devices or the accuracy. For our scans, we usually use 60 positions at the moment, depending on the object.
- We don't sell you anything that is not useful to you, we are 100% sure that you will love the Scoobe3D. That's why we've introduced a 7-day return guarantee upon receipt. This way you can test your 3D scanner for 7 days before you decide whether you want to keep it.
You can download your 3D models in the following file formats:
- glb (available soon)
- off (available soon)