How can I help you?
e.g. server plans, scans of reflective surfaces, etc.
Choose your category to find the help you need
Tips and tricks
- The scanner is guided evenly around the object - similar to taking a panorama photo. Markings appear on the display to indicate which scan positions have already been captured or have not yet been captured. For the underside, the 3D scanner must be guided around the turned-over object in order to cleanly merge the 3D information from both scans. Afterwards a high-resolution 3D model is calculated on our servers and sent to your Scoobe3D in STL and OBJ format. You will also receive the data by email. For the communication between the Scoobe3D and the servers an internet access via WLAN is necessary. If you do not have an internet connection, you can temporarily store the data until the next connection is established.
- Yes and no. The Scoobe3D generates OBJ and STL files. These can be derived from STL to STEP with e.g. "Solidworks". This is possible in Solidworks by default (sometimes an importer module has to be installed, which can be downloaded for free from the Solidworks homepage). With the STEP-format you can continue working in any CAD-software. This way you can customize the assembly according to your needs: simple operations like scaling the size in X-, Y-, and/or Z-direction are possible. An example procedure with FreeCAD: Convert STL to solids
- Changes that require a clean mathematical description of the model in detail are not possible. For example, it is not possible to change the radius of a cylindrical element of the 3D model. For a professional processing a reverse engineering tool would have to be used here.
- The resolution is 0.1 mm in X, Y, Z, at a distance of 40 cm from the measuring object.
- At a distance of 2 meters, the resolution is 0.5 mm in X and Y axis.
- The much anticipated 3D models can be found in the upper section of the Scoobe3D scanner pages under the tab "3D Scans": Here
- All visible surfaces work well, even if they are highly reflective. Not possible are transparent surfaces (e.g. glass) and deep black objects (e.g. black holes) that reflect absolutely no light.
- Background: An optical scanner only picks up optically detectable materials. Transparent and deep black objects are not included.
- The Scoobe3D delivers excellent results when scanning people. It is possible to scan people with a height of 2 meters or more with an accuracy of 0.1 mm!
- For faster recording speeds it is possible to scan one person with several Scoobe3Ds. You have access to the open API, so you can program your own applications to connect the required devices. The devices are equipped with Bluetooth and are triggered by it.
- It's hard to say how many devices you'll end up needing. It really depends on which detail is most important to you: the distance between Scoobe3D and the person, the number of devices or the accuracy. For our scans we are currently using about 30-40 positions, depending on the object.
- We don't sell you anything that is not useful to you, we are 100% sure that you will love the Scoobe3D. That's why we've introduced a 14-day return guarantee upon receipt. This way you can test your 3D scanner for 14 days before you decide whether you want to keep it.
- We have gone through this question a million times ourselves here at Scoobe3D because the security of your data is very important to us. However, we have good reasons for our decision to realize Scoobe3D with a server:
- Maintenance costs: For the beginning it is quite expensive to run your own server. This increases the total cost of your 3D model. Using one server to calculate all 3D models is a cost effective solution that supports our goal of making 3D scanning accessible to everyone.
- Software updates and troubleshooting: Fixing bugs is an essential part of any software development. Therefore, any software update would have to be uploaded to your server by yourself in order to implement it. This is very time consuming and complicated - contrary to our premise of developing an easy to use 3D scanner. It also makes the 3D scanner more expensive, as these updates would probably have to be released as new versions of the software. The web-based server solution was chosen because it ensures that all our customers have a stable and reliable software version available at all times.
- Security of the own server: If you use your own computer for calculation, you would have to set up an intensive security system to be on the safe side - especially with Windows computers. We will implement regular security updates and effective encryption to ensure that your files are only your data. The encryption works with a key that is unique to each user, so only you can access your data. We do not store any of your data outside of the calculation.
Ask our experts
The Scoobe3D team is looking forward to answer all your questions. We are here to help you!